In the payroll world, it's critical to stay current on industry updates and regulations that impact your business. With the overwhelming amount of information available (and the constant changes and updates), it’s tough stay on top of it all. To make your life easier, we’ve curated this list of 11 essential payroll resources. Subscribe, bookmark or sign up to keep up with the latest and greatest!
- E-News for Payroll Professionals: Subscribe to receive payroll information direct to your inbox. Insights range from general news releases to updated tax procedures, legislative changes, and more. For other areas of interest, check out email subscription options here.
- State Department of Revenue (DOR): Always keep up with information coming out your state department. For example, if you're a Wisconsin employer, you can sign up for one (or more) of their 26 newsletters to receive emails with critical tax news and information including the Wisconsin Tax Bulletin, withholding tax news, filing deadlines, and more.
- IRS Newswire: Submit your email address to receive around two to three weekly news releases from the IRS National Media Relations Office. Topics range from tax administration to law changes, filing season updates, statistics and more.
- IRS Guidewire: With this subscription, you receive advance copies of tax guidance such as regulations, revenue procedures, announcements and notices.
- America Payroll Association (APA): The APA’s website is focused on payroll education, publications and training. With a paid membership, you have unlimited access to their payroll compliance news and updates, payroll educational resources, and a network of over 20,000 payroll professionals. You can also sign up for their monthly newsletter. Find information about your local APA chapter here.
- Local APA Chapter: The APA also has local chapters that offer a bevy of information and resources. For example, if you're a Wisconsinite, the Milwaukee, Madison, and Northeast Wisconsin chapters have websites packed with compliance resources and information about monthly meetings, conferences and upcoming chapter events.
- Bloomberg BNA: Formerly known as “Bureau of National Affairs,” BNA provides legal, tax, HR, payroll and business information for paid members. With a membership, you get instant access to news on a myriad of business-related topics and proprietary business data. There are different membership options available, so you can find one that best meets your needs.
- E-News for Small Business: If you’re a small business owner or are self-employed, you won’t want to miss out on this free subscription. Sign up to receive information on important upcoming tax dates, IRS updates, tax compliance tips and more.
- Tax Reform for Small Business: If you're a small business, bookmark this IRS page. It’s the ultimate one-stop shop for information related to tax reform — and is a great resource for information related to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA).
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM): SHRM produces content geared toward HR professionals. Subscribe to their daily newsletter to stay informed of timely workplace news and trends. You can also take advantage of paid memberships to their national and local chapters, which will give you access to even more personalized HR content, compliance resources, free webcasts and more.
- B2E Solutions: Education is our number one goal, so we make it a priority to share as much information with our followers and subscribers as possible. To ensure you don't miss any of our updates, sign up for our emails and follow us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
Note: This article was originally published on January 23, 2019 and was updated on January 15, 2021, with the most up-to-date information.